Subject: Museum Wax

Museum Wax

From: Vera B. Espinola <icona>
Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2003
Patricia Bye <pbye [at] benchmarkcatalog__com> writes

>We have found that all waxes have the potential to leave stains if
>left on an object for a long period of time.  A barrier layer of B72
>is recommended. At Benchmark, we offer an inert white wax (Sticky
>Wax)--a hygienic dental wax--that has passed Oddy testing and is
>currently used by many museums to stabilize objects.  If you would
>like, I can send you a sample to test in your situation.

I've noticed that museum wax leaves an oily residue if in contact
with paper and I'd like to try "sticky wax". Where is a source for
"sticky wax"? I've tried my dentist, but he doesn't have it; I
called an orthodontist, but they don't have it either. Thanks for
your help,

Vera Espinola-Beery
M.A. Conservator in Private Practice

                  Distributed: Friday, August 8, 2003