Subject: Citing treatment reports and unpublished documents

Citing treatment reports and unpublished documents

From: Sarah Lowengard <sarahl>
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2003
Re: Citing treatment reports and unpublished documents (Cons
DistList Inst. 17:17 and 17:18), could someone explain why these
would *not* deserve citation, as archives or other personal papers?
I don't understand how it could be acceptable professional practice
to use the work of others without appropriate credit.  Am I correct
to assume that this is an issue in part because the scientific
formats used as a model by so many conservation publications don't
treat unpublished works, as they are uncommon in laboratory-based
(and patent-focused) presentations?  (I have in the past asked for
guidelines for citing unpublished works from editors at both the
American Chemical Society and Elsevier and received them without a
problem; they don't list them as a norm but they do exist.)  I would
be interested to know how others frame this problem.

Sarah Lowengard
New York City

                  Distributed: Friday, August 8, 2003