Subject: Condition surveys

Condition surveys

From: Jennifer E. hain <jhain>
Date: Friday, August 1, 2003
At the University of Illinois we in Preservation and Conservation
are working with our Rare Book and Special Collections Library to
address the conservation and rehousing needs of the uncatalogued
backlog in their collections.  We have started a condition survey
(based only on a random sample of the collection, unfortunately, due
to the number of volumes) and have compiled enough records to start
forming some conclusions about the needs of these unique or rare
materials.  My question is, have any other institutions done similar
condition assessments of this sort of collection, and if so, would
you be willing to share your results? I want to be sure we are
approaching this with all necessary questions in mind, etc.  Also,
if anyone knows of any publications that talk about surveying
uncatalogued items, and any special challenges or needs they may
present, I would greatly appreciate hearing about them.

Jennifer E. Hain
Head, Conservation Unit
Main Library, Room 44
1408 West Gregory Drive