Subject: National Vocational Qualifications

National Vocational Qualifications

From: Mark Hingley <mark.hingley>
Date: Monday, August 4, 2003
Have any conservators working in the UK or elsewhere heard of
something called a Conservation NVQ (National Vocational
Qualification)?  I have recently been passed a large folder produced
in 1995 by an organisation calling itself The Museum Training
Institute. I can find no mention of it on the Internet and there is
no contact address in  the material itself.

I should be very grateful if anyone has knowledge of nature of the
organisation, its whereabouts and any personnel it might employ,
which they would be willing to pass on. Is there anyone who has
taken the course?

    **** Moderator's comments: According to
    <URL:http://www.ifrance.com/ffcr/histor/Annexe5.htm>

       "In 1989 the UK Government set up the Museum Training
        Institute (MTI) . It was realised that the existing training
        in museums and galleries was inadequate, and the MTI was
        meant to improve this. one of its first tasks is to set
        standards of competence within the UK museums, gallery and
        heritage "industry". It is doing this within the framework
        of the NCVQ and hopes in the next two years to establish a
        National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) for museums and
        galleries Eventually it is hoped that by 1992 the NVQ will
        be established.

    MTI evolved into the Cultural Heritage National Training
    Organisation (CHNTO) <URL:http://www.chnto.co.uk/>

    According to <URL:http://www.clickforcare.co.uk/members/
        m_learning/nvq/nvq_intro.htm>

           "An NVQ is a nationally recognised qualification awarded
            for demonstration of competence in a certain subject.
            They are based on the National Occupational Standards,
            which describe what competent people in a particular
            occupation are expected to be able to do. ...

            When a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) is
            achieved, it shows that the student can do the work for
            which it has been awarded, to national standards"

    The above URLs have been wrapped for email. There should be no
    newlines.

Mark Hingley
Conservation section
Norfolk Record Office