Subject: Leather

Leather

From: Jane McCutchen Brown <brownjm>
Date: Friday, August 1, 2003
Bill Wiebold <wieboldstudio [at] netscape__net> writes

>Does anyone know where one can purchase very thin leather for the
>restoration of leather clad Daguerreotype and portrait miniature
>frame cases. The leather is almost paper thin.

restoration of Daguerreotype cases, what is needed is called Skiver,
a very highly thinned leather (often used for spine labels in book
restoration).  Look for bookbinding leather suppliers. Try
Bookmakers in Maryland or Talas in New York.  I'm sure there are
other suppliers as well.

You do not mention whether you need to replace the entire cover or
just repair the hinge.  Another option might be to repair the hinge
with Japanese tissue dyed to match the case.

Jane Brown
Waring Historical Library
Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, SC