Subject: Discolored paper

Discolored paper

From: Madhavi Singh <dharohar>
Date: Friday, August 1, 2003
Marieke Kraan <kop.papierrestauratie [at] planet__nl> writes

>A few months ago, we received an piece of art (acrylic on paper) in
>our studio. The work on Fabriano paper was framed on plywood
>(Meranti) and fixed recto at the edges with water soluble tape.

Kindly check the pH of treated portion, the chances of getting
terribly low pH, only solution is through washing and proper
deacidification, reasons could be the stabilizing acid for H2O2,
paper structure and most important is the porosity of paper (as you
know it is impossible to remove all adhesive from paper once applied
so even after you remove and clean it properly that area start
behaving like encapsulated under low pH, hence start browning at
faster rate nearly 10 times).

Madhavi Singh
Dharohar art conservation centre
Lucknow, India