Subject: Citing treatment reports and unpublished documents

Citing treatment reports and unpublished documents

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Friday, August 1, 2003
This is a response to Steven Pine's comment on treatment reports
used in publications.  This is an important issue.  I have sat in
AIC meetings where people debated on the value of treatment reports
with some people arguing that they should not appear as publications
or be cited unless they have passed peer review.  The issue is that
the vast number of treatments are beyond our benefit due to the fact
that people do not publish them and the process to get something
into print is so difficult.  The exception is the specialty group
publications which we must be grateful for, since the JAIC has
produced so few treatment papers in recent years it is only in
conferences and the "gray literature " of our field that we can
really learn what is going on in peoples' labs and at the bench.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

                  Distributed: Tuesday, August 5, 2003