Subject: Workspace design

Workspace design

From: Karen Wall <kewall>
Date: Monday, July 28, 2003
Our college (Rhode Island School of Design) will be moving to a new
library in about two years and we are starting to work with our
architects on the planning of spaces.  I am responsible for helping
them design/plan the conservation area.  I would greatly appreciate
any of your comments or suggestions on equipment, furniture, layout,
etc.  Some details I can tell you:

I will have 600 square feet to work with.  We perform (mostly) minor
repairs to the circulating collection (reback, recase, endsheets,
tissue repairs, etc.) as well as repair and make protective
enclosures for our Special and Artists' Book Collections (portfolio
repair, clam-shell boxes, self-closing wrappers, etc.)  I already
know I will have space for two workstations (perhaps back-to-back
repair desks) and a large work table (likely with spaces underneath
for board stock and rolls of book fabric.)  I already have a paper
cutter and will likely be purchasing a board shear.  I will also be
including a sink/cleanup station.

I would appreciate any pearls of wisdom on how I can best use my 600
square feet, what equipment is essential for the types of repairs I
have mentioned above, anything and everything you can tell me that
will help me plan my space will be so greatly appreciated,

Karen Wall
Rhode Island School of Design Library

                 Distributed: Wednesday, July 30, 2003