Subject: UV monitors

UV monitors

From: Peter Lundskow <plundskow>
Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2003
I have a question that I have been researching and have not been
able to find an answer to.  I know when it comes to general
recommended UV readings for museums 10 microwatts per lumen is
optimum with 75 microwatts per lumen being the high end of the
'safe' range.  Also, that many museums use the Crawford type 760 UV
monitor.

After getting some inconsistent readings from this meter I did some
searching.  I found out from a source that these meters can take
misreadings and sometimes are effected by other factors such as some
radio and other electromagnetic waves.

Recently, we purchased a more accurate meter, the UVX Radiometer
from UVP Ultra-Violet Products (this meter comes with certification
of calibration)it takes readings in microwatts per cm squared.  I
have not been able to find any information on how to convert one
measurement to the other and what safe readings would be for museums
when measured in microwatts per cm squared. Also, I would mention
our new meter has two sensor heads, one in the 250nm range and the
other in the 360nm range.  I have been told by the same source that
readings with both sensors are needed to get a more complete picture
of UV exposure.

Finally, I was wondering on anyone's thoughts or experiences on
currently developed lighting systems, such as filtered fiber optic
projector systems for one and specially designed direct illumination
bulbs engineered for coloration, reduced UV and IR levels for
another.  I would appreciate anything anyone could offer or any
resources to point me towards.

Peter Lundskow
Conservator
Indiana State Museum