Subject: Bone fills

Bone fills

From: Gali Beiner <galibeiner>
Date: Sunday, July 27, 2003
I am working with some very large archaeological bones (elephants,
hippotami etc.) and part of the collection here features fills for
bone, made out of a combination of wax with pine resin and gypsum.
Does anyone know about other instances of fills made out of a
mixture of these specific materials, and the way they aged with
time? It will also help to know if there are people using this kind
of combination at present, as I know of at least one person who is
making his own combination and using that as a fill for large bones,
holding the opinion that the way wax tends to attracts particulate
matter can be counteracted by a certain proportion of pine resin,
and the whole made into a putty that hardens into a very strong
material with the use of gypsum.

I am asking these questions also because there are problems with
using materials such as B72 with glass microballoons for very large
bones: this may not be strong enough and is also very expensive, a
problem in a very large, but not very budgeted, collection. If
anyone would like to inform about tested materials in bone fills,
this would be very helpful.

Gali Beiner
Conservator
Palaeontology lab