Subject: Adhesives for marble

Adhesives for marble

From: John Griswold <john>
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2003
Alayne Alvis <alayne.alvis [at] awm__gov__au> writes

>Have list members had any experience with adhesives for marble? We
>are looking at repairing a new Indian intarsia table top (about 40cm
>diameter, 25mm thick, maybe 5 kg). The break surfaces are new and in
>good condition. I expect we will support it from below once the
>piece is repaired.
>
>The first thought would be to use B-72. Is this
>appropriate/sufficiently strong for the job?

Others have responded regarding the use of epoxy adhesives such as
Sikadur. Even where significant structural strength is needed, it is
more than prudent to first isolate the marble using Paraloid B72.
This helps prevent irreversible staining due to migration of uncured
epoxy resin components. It also adds a measure of reversibility to
the join. Jerry Podany et al completed a study looking at B72 as a
barrier film when using epoxy adhesives on stone:

    Podany, Jerry; Garland, Kathleen M.; Freeman, William R.; and
    Rogers, Joe.
    Paraloid B-72 as a structural adhesive and as a barrier within
    structural adhesive bonds: evaluations of strength and
    reversibility.
    Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, 40, no. 1
    (2001 Spring), pp. 15-33

It is possible that the small intarsia table top might not need
anything more than B72, especially If it will be supported from
below, and if it is to be exhibited and stored in a museum context.
Much depends on specifics such as the intimacy of the fit between
break surfaces and the nature of the damage.

John Griswold
Griswold Conservation Associates, LLC

                   Distributed: Friday, July 25, 2003