Subject: Professional qualifications and AIC

Professional qualifications and AIC

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2003
As a response to Bill Wiebold I have to say that I doubt that many
of the Fellows who were grandfathered in the 1960s are still
practicing today.  They certainly do not make up any substantial
number now.  I would assume that almost 100% of Fellows today have
passed the Fellows application process as is true for all the P.A.s.
THat means that they have been judged by their peers to be
practicing conservators or conservation professionals with the
expertise and ethical commitment the AIC requires.  This is a
process that seems just a demanding as that ever proposed for
certification (it requires applicants submit materials to
demonstrate their ability and professionalism to their peers who
then examine this material and judge whether they meet standards set
by the AIC.)  All that is missing is the time and effort to design
an exam, find a way of administering it so that people do not have
to travel to Washington to do it and yet the results can be
authenticated as fair and just.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service