Subject: Adhesives for marble

Adhesives for marble

From: Christine Miller <cmiller>
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2003
Alayne Alvis <alayne.alvis [at] awm__gov__au> writes

>Have list members had any experience with adhesives for marble? We
>are looking at repairing a new Indian intarsia table top (about 40cm
>diameter, 25mm thick, maybe 5 kg). The break surfaces are new and in
>good condition. I expect we will support it from below once the
>piece is repaired.
>
>The first thought would be to use B-72. Is this
>appropriate/sufficiently strong for the job?

When working with marble--keep in mind that I work on outdoor
sculpture and monuments--I have always used a two-part, structural,
epoxy resin, such as Sikadur. This would certainly work in a museum
setting, although it may be a little bit of overkill as it is a
structural fix.  It is also not particularly reversible (although it
can be chipped off after curing with few losses).  If you are going
to support the table top on some sort of a base, you could probably
get away with something a little weaker and more reversible
(although you will need to talk to the museum people about that).
I hope this helps,

Christine Miller
Architectural Conservator/Historian
Cultural Resource Consulting Group