Subject: Salt on glass

Salt on glass

From: Loren C. Pigniolo <misterpuerh>
Date: Monday, July 21, 2003
The recent discussion of salts appearing on the inside of framed
works suggests to me a problem such as has been noted in relation to
glass deterioration, especially in daguerreotype cases.  The mention
of this problem in relation to miniatures strengthens the connection
in my mind.  It would seem to be worth investigating whether a
similar problem might be occurring in this instance.

The patterning in relation to the framed image might be explained by
temperature gradients within the package, as discussed by Tim
Padfield in his articles "The Hunt Ball," and its sequel, "How to
protect glazed pictures from climatic insult." These articles, and
others, are available at <URL:http://www.natmus.dk/cons/tp/>

I am most interested in what you discover, so please report your
findings to the list.

Loren C. Pigniolo
Graduate Student, School of Library and Information Science
San Jose State University, San Jose, California

                   Distributed: Monday, July 21, 2003