Subject: Adhesives for marble

Adhesives for marble

From: Michael Maus <mausm>
Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2003
Alayne Alvis <alayne.alvis [at] awm__gov__au> writes

>Have list members had any experience with adhesives for marble? We
>are looking at repairing a new Indian intarsia table top (about 40cm
>diameter, 25mm thick, maybe 5 kg). The break surfaces are new and in
>good condition. I expect we will support it from below once the
>piece is repaired.
>
>The first thought would be to use B-72. Is this
>appropriate/sufficiently strong for the job?

I'm a palaeontological preparator and I have tested a lot of
adhesives on rocks and fossil bones. Many of the fossils I work on
are embedded in limestone. I think marble and limestone can be
treated the same way. Most of the time I use 2-component
Epoxy-resin-glue. There are many good systems on the market like UHU
Endfest, Araldite 2011 or 2020. See
<URL:http://www.araldite-adhesives.com>. When you mix the two
components just add a little powder-color or marble dust to give the
glue the same color as the table.

Another possibility is the use of Akemi Marble Filler. This is a
polyester based system for all kinds of natural stone. In Germany
this is widely used by stonemasons. There are several colors
available on the market. See <URL:http://www.akemi.de>. I think
Paraloid B-72 is not strong enough for this.

Dipl.-Geol. Michael Maus
Johannes Gutenberg University
Institute for Geosciences / Department of Paleontology
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz
Germany

                 Distributed: Wednesday, July 16, 2003