Subject: Standard vocabulary for condition of photographs

Standard vocabulary for condition of photographs

From: Nathan Georgitis <nathang>
Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2003
At the University of Oregon we are scanning dry plate negatives
created by Lee Moorhouse on the Umatilla Indian Reservation in
eastern Oregon at the turn of the century.

We would like to note the condition of the dry plate negatives in
the metadata records for the digital images. I am writing to inquire
if there are any vocabularies in use for the description of the
condition of glass plate negatives or photographic images. I would
be interested in reviewing any local vocabularies in use at
individual institutions as well as any more widely accepted
vocabularies.

A search of this listserv retrieved a similar query in 1992, posted
by Richard Pearce-Moses on behalf of Beth Delaney. I did not find
any helpful responses to that post, although one response noted the
following sources of technical terms:

    D. Vogt O'Connor.
    Smithsonian Archives Photo survey Project:  A Draft Photographic
    Thesaurus. Unpublished. Smithsonian Institution, March, 1987.

    Thesaurus of photographic science and engineering terms. Edited
    and published by the Society of Photographic Scientists and
    Engineers. Produced for the Society by Engineering Index Inc.

    Baldwin, Gordon.
    Looking at photographs: a guide to technical terms.

Any help in locating a vocabulary for the description of the
condition of glass plate negative or photographic images would be
very much appreciated.

Nathan Georgitis
Metadata Librarian
Knight Library