Subject: Anastylosis

Anastylosis

From: Kalliopi Vacharopoulou <tcrnkva>
Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2003
I am researching the method and practice of anastylosis--the
reassembly of existing but dismembered parts of monuments--as
applied to architectural conservation of Classical, Hellenistic and
Roman monuments in the Mediterranean area.

Anastylosis interventions follow the theoretical principles
established by the International Conservation Charters. However,
during their choice, planning and implementation various issues are
raised. My research is identifying and exploring these issues. The
objective is to propose the best possible solutions to these issues,
and methodological steps to be followed. This research aims at
moving anastylosis practice forward and benefiting the profession as
extensively as possible.

I have compiled a questionnaire with regard to the concept and
practice anastylosis. If you have any experience of anastylosis, I
would be extremely grateful if you could complete it. It is
available online at <URL:http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~tcrnkva/index.html>.
In case you prefer a hard copy of the questionnaire, I will be
pleased to send you one. Upon receipt of the completed
questionnaires, I will be forming a general report, which I will
then make sure that you receive as soon as possible.

Alternatively, I would greatly appreciate any information,
references or contacts.

Should you have any comments or questions, or should you require
further information regarding the scope and aims of my research, I
can be contacted at tcrnkva [at] ucl__ac__uk, or via the address below.
Thank you very much in advance for your consideration and expertise.
I do look forward to hearing from you,

Kalliopi Vacharopoulou
Institute of Archaeology
University College London