Subject: Handling materials on television

Handling materials on television

From: Caroline Bendix <bendijack2>
Date: Sunday, July 6, 2003
I'm afraid that I did not see the television programme referred to
but agree that there is generally a lack of care in the handling of
similar objects on television. However, I very much disagree with
the use of cotton gloves when handling bound volumes and paper
archives. Cotton gloves are far more abrasive than skin, and
fabric-encumbered fingers considerably less dextrous than bare
hands. Clean hands are much safer, with the emphasis on clean, i.e.
washed and dried before handling objects. If there are concerns,
possibly when handling some parchment artefacts, tightly-fitting
vinyl gloves may be appropriate.

Caroline Bendix
Freelance libraries conservator
Advisor on Libraries Conservation to the National Trust
40c Lavender Gardens
London SW11 1DN
+44 20 7738 1931
Fax: +44 20 7771 6175