Subject: Materials analysis labs

Materials analysis labs

From: Shona Broughton <tunesone>
Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2003
Kenneth Smith <kenkel628 [at] earthlink__net> writes

>Are there any labs or conservation departments that provide
>analytical services such as pigment identification, media analysis,
>materials analysis for the general conservation community?  Also are
>there any groups providing short courses on these topics?  Are there
>any opinions about existing labs and their capacity to service the
>conservation community?

If you are looking for conservation labs in the UK, there are a
number of independent and government run ones that would be more
than willing to provide a wide range of analytical services. We have
had analytical work carried out in London by Dr Nicholas Eastaugh
who undertakes pigment analysis, IR reflectography, detailed
material analysis including SEM, XRD and Raman microscopy. I think
he teaches on a number of conservation courses in the UK too and I
suspect would be delighted to help set us multi-discipline lab in
the UK.

There are a number of university connected labs which carry out
analytical services in the UK and in countries as wide ranging as
the US, Malta, India and Canada.

Most labs we have used will always give us an estimate of costs and
have quick turnaround service.

Shona Broughton
Halahan and Associates

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 3, 2003