Subject: Consolidating bone

Consolidating bone

From: Tanya So <tanya.so>
Date: Saturday, June 28, 2003
Sayde Sortibran Cardenas <sortibran [at] yahoo__com> writes

>My name is Sayde Sortibran, and I studied restauration in Mexico
>City. I need information about how I can consolidate  bone, it is a
>mamut bone.

I have heard of archaeology and paleontology labs using a thin 5%
solution of PVA (polyvinyl acetate) to consolidate bone and a 20%
solution to adhere the pieces together.  A PVA neutral and alkaline
paper pulp can be used as a fill.  Contact Dr. Eileen Johnson
(eileen.johnson [at] ttu__edu 806-742-2479) for more information on
consolidating bone and Dr. Sankar Chatterjee
(sankar.chatterjee [at] ttu__edu 806-742-1986) for information about the
paper pulp fill.  They both work at the Museum of Texas Tech.
Buena Suerte,

Tanya So
Assistant Conservator
Texas Tech University Libraries