Subject: Ceramic funerary wreath

Ceramic funerary wreath

From: Jenny Barnett <andelos>
Date: Friday, June 27, 2003
Will Murray <w.murray.smc [at] blueyonder__co__uk> writes

>I have been asked to provide an estimate for the conservation of a
>ceramic funerary wreath. These objects are sometimes called
>"immortelles". The wreath in question dates from 1906 and sat on a
>grave in a churchyard in Perthshire, Scotland, until very recently.

One sees many ceramic floral arrangements on French graves. They are
still available from florist shops but I have never seen anything so
elaborate as the described wreath. Since the name is French, these
objects could well have been exported from France.

The Musee National des Arts et Traditions Populaires may be helpful
or the Musee de Ceramic a Sevres, both in Paris

Jennifer Barnett
Textielonderzoek- en advies
Oude Looiersstraat 65-67
1016 VH Amsterdam