Subject: Conductivity meter

Conductivity meter

From: Linda Roundhill <artsconservation>
Date: Thursday, June 26, 2003
Jeremy Wells <jeremy [at] wells__net> writes

>Chris McAfee <mcafeeck [at] ldschurch__org> writes
>
>>I'm looking for a small, simple-to-use conductivity meter for
>>testing my deionized water. Any suggestions?
>
>I've often wondered if a simple conductivity/ohm meter from Radio
>Shack would suffice? If so, it would certainly be inexpensive
>(~$20). The obvious potential drawback may be a lack of precision,
>but perhaps an inexpensive ohm meter is precise enough. Another
>application would be in testing poultices removed from masonry in a
>desalination operation. Comments?

I wonder about this too.  I have used inexpensive noncalibrated
meters when necessity demanded and found that a progressive plot of
the numbers during desalination can be more valuable than the actual
numbers, depending on the material being desalinated.

Linda S. Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation
18121 157th Ave NE
Woodinville, WA 98072