Subject: Museum Wax

Museum Wax

From: Patricia Bye <pbye>
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2003
Holly Keris <hkeris [at] cummer__org> writes

>What is the opinion on using Museum Wax to stabilize objects in
>cases?  It appears to leave a horrible greasy stain on the walls and
>I was wondering if there was any information about its use on
>objects.  Is there another product that is more recommended? We do
>plan to create mounts in the near future so this is just a temporary
>solution.

We have found that all waxes have the potential to leave stains if
left on an object for a long period of time.  A barrier layer of B72
is recommended. At Benchmark, we offer an inert white wax (Sticky
Wax)--a hygienic dental wax--that has passed Oddy testing and is
currently used by many museums to stabilize objects.  If you would
like, I can send you a sample to test in your situation.

Pat Bye
Benchmark
Artifact Mountmaking and Museum Exhibition Supplies
Rosemont, NJ 08556

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 26, 2003