Subject: Nylon and firearms

Nylon and firearms

From: David Harvey <top10denverdave>
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2003
Gregor Trinkaus-Randall <gregor.trinkaus-randall [at] state__ma__us>

>Gary Miller <garym [at] bbhc__org> writes
>
>>We are planning a firearms display and wondering about using a 100%
>>nylon material as a back drop. ...
>...  Besides the
>normal cross bracing, anchoring, etc. he mentioned that they used
>rubber tubing around the shelving to keep the volumes in place.  The
>tubing can be tightened so that it is quite snug.  However, since it
>has some give, there is some flexibility when there is a quake or
>tremor.  My recollection is that he suggested using the flexible
>tubing used in scientific laboratories.  Another thought would be
>bicycle tubes.  I hope that this helps.

Just a concern with this response. Rubber compounds are not
compatible with the preservation of metals and composite metal
artifacts and objects such as firearms. I have seen them cause
terrible corrosion problems in silver, brass, and iron alloys.

David Harvey
Artifacts
2930 South Birch Street
Denver, CO  80222