Subject: A death

A death

From: Amparo R. De Torres <ator>
Date: Thursday, June 26, 2003
To friends and colleagues:

I just received a phone call from Sheila Waters.  Peter passed away
this morning at 2:45 am.  He was very peaceful and not in pain.  His
wish is to be cremated and he wanted a very simple funeral service
at the funeral home in Emmitsburg, PA, probably in the next few
days.  She will let me know.

Sheila is amazingly strong and clearheaded and wants to continue his
last project: to digitize his photographic slide collection dating
back to the Florence flood.  There are eight volumes of which he was
able to finish one.  He did voice recordings of the description of
each image. He worked up until yesterday.  Sheila was part of Peters
life always and fortunately for us and the field of conservation,
she knows all there is to know about those slides.  They represent
Peter's entire professional life. Peter's contributions to the field
are too numerous to be mentioned now.  We are where we are because
of individuals like him.  He pioneered the concept of "phased
conservation" from where preventive conservation has derived, in
addition to his impeccable skills as book binder and many other
talents including playing the piano.  It is a monumental loss to the
field.

The Conservation Division of the Library of Congress was collecting
signatures and letters in an beautiful book made here and we were
taking it to him today.  We would like to receive other letters,
emails, cards, photographs to add to the book to take to Sheila,
their  three sons and their families.  Please send to my attention
via regular mail or via email.

Amparo R. de Torres
Special Projects Officer
Conservation Division, LMG 38