Subject: Phosphene gas

Phosphene gas

From: Ercole Gialdi <rgi.ge>
Date: Saturday, June 21, 2003
Patricia Garland <patricia.garland [at] yale__edu> writes

>Does anyone know anything about phosphene gas? I know that it is
>used in the food industry, but I have a client who has some
>paintings down in Jamaica and someone there proposes using this gas
>as way to eradicate drywood termites.

The eradication of parasites from cultural heritage assets can be
performed though the application of several methods: the ones based
on chemicals are dangerous for human health, pollute the environment
and can produce severe alteration to the collections.

Physical methods are much more suitable; among these, the most
effective and easy to be applied is the Anoxia (few weeks of
exposition to low oxygen concentration will kill the 100% of any
specie of parasite; eggs and larvae included).

The VELOXY system allows the application of anoxia also by the
personnel of the conservation structure: see
<URL:http://www.rgi-genova.it> . It was developed and tested in the
frame of the EU project SAVE ART and it has been applied in a number
of museums, archives and libraries (see references)

Ing. Ercole Gialdi
R.G.I. Resource Group Integrator s.r.l.
16145 Genova; Viale N. Sauro
+39 10 3626002