Subject: Papyrus

Papyrus

From: John Ashman <j.ashman>
Date: Monday, June 23, 2003
Nicole Gilroy <nicole.gilroy [at] bodley__ox__ac__uk> writes

>Does anyone have experience of mounting collections of fragments
>(such as papyrus, bark etc.) between glass plates? ...

We have used Sandel Preservation glass for encapsulating papyrus
fragments. This was a laminated glass incorporating a UV filtering
film. The sheet was composed of a layer of UV filtering film
laminated between two thin sheets of glass. The layering of the
glass should help reduce the risk of shattering. (The papyrus
fragments had previously been encapsulated in glass and we had
experienced a problem with breakage, so the laminated glass was
preferred.) I don't know whether they still make it. We had to have
it cut in the factory because laminated glass is difficult to cut.

The Sandel web site was not responding when I tried it:
www.sandelglass.com.

Another US company Tru Vue seems to provide something similar called
conservation glass or museum glass in pre-cut sizes:
<URL:http://www.tru-vue.com>

There was a European source of laminated UV-filtering glass, but the
product was thicker so we chose Sandel. The Sandel glass was 2.8mm
thick. I cannot remember the name of the European supplier.

John Ashman, Conservation Officer
Glasgow University Library
Hillhead Street
Glasgow G12 8QE