Subject: Vibration and loosely stretched canvas paintings

Vibration and loosely stretched canvas paintings

From: Kathrin Pilz <kathrinpilz>
Date: Friday, June 20, 2003
Doerthe Gutmann and I are both students at the University of Applied
Sciences Cologne, Germany and are dealing with a project in
cooperation with the Wallraf-Richartz-Museum in Cologne.

We are looking for means of protecting canvas paintings from
vibration. We have already found lots of literature on temporary
measures like for art in transit, etc. But we are searching for a
permanent solution to this problem: e.g. loosely stretched or
open-weave canvases like those by some impressionists. A buffer of
air directly behind the painting should prevent the canvas from
vibration. Now, we would be very thankful to you for sharing your
experience with us in this matter. What kind of materials exactly do
you use (boards, textiles, foams, etc.)? How do you fix it to the
painting (stretcher or frame)?

Kathrin Pilz
Rosenstrasse 31
50678 Cologne