Subject: Phosphene gas

Phosphene gas

From: Thomas A. Parker <bugman22>
Date: Friday, June 20, 2003
Patricia Garland <patricia.garland [at] yale__edu> writes

>Does anyone know anything about phosphene gas? I know that it is
>used in the food industry, but I have a client who has some
>paintings down in Jamaica and someone there proposes using this gas
>as way to eradicate drywood termites.

Your inquiry about phosphene gas is very timely.  I would *not* use
phosphene gas on paintings because it is very reactive and might
damage the paintings. Phosphene gas is liberated when moisture
reacts with Phostoxin pellets.  It takes three days for the reaction
to be completed.  In that time, the paintings may be damaged.  If
fumigation is actually warranted, Vikane would be the choice.  But a
better alternative would be to freeze the paintings.  If done
correctly, this method should not damage the paintings.  It may also
be possible to unmount the paintings, throw away the infested wood,
and remount them.

Thomas A. Parker, PhD
Entomological Consultant
Pest Control Services, Inc.