Subject: Lime grout additives

Lime grout additives

From: Naomi Kroll <naomi_kroll>
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2003
I am considering adding ethyl carbamate or ammonium carbamate to a
lime-based stone grout, as described in P. Baglioni et al., "New
Autogenous Lime-Based Grouts Used in the Conservation of Lime-Based
Wall Paintings," Studies in Conservation 42 n. 1 (1997).  These
compounds react with water in an alkaline environment to produce
carbon dioxide, which in theory will facilitate the carbonation of
the lime after the grout is injected into the mostly airless
fissures of the stone. Has anyone used this class of lime-based
grout additives since this article's publication? I would be
interested in hearing about your results and experiences.

Naomi Kroll
Architectural Conservator
National Park Service

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 19, 2003