Subject: Varnish removal and revarnishing

Varnish removal and revarnishing

From: Jill Whitten <jwhitten>
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003
    author.

I am working with Eric Pourchot (AIC Program Officer, Professional
Development) on a proposal for an NEH (National Endowment for the
Humanities) grant to fund a workshop. We are looking for an example
of a varnish removal or revarnishing that revealed a historical
feature of a painting that could not be seen before the
cleaning/revarnishing. We are looking for an example of a signature
being revealed (by a well-known artist) or some detail that adds
meaning to the image that could not be seen pre-treatment.

Jill Whitten
Whitten and Proctor Fine Art Conservation
402 Byrne St.
Houston, Texas 77009

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 19, 2003