Subject: Laser eye surgery

Laser eye surgery

From: Christine Smith <capi>
Date: Monday, June 16, 2003
Joanne Rock <jrock [at] pii__org> writes

>I know you are interested in people who decided not to have Lasik,
>but I had to write. I had Lasik in late 1999 at the age of 44.  I
>now have what is called "mono-vision".  One eye sees best far; one
>eye sees best near. Together I see just fine.  I wear glasses at
>night for driving.

As someone who was born with this condition, I urge anyone who is
considering creating this condition to seek several opinions from
excellent ophthalmologists before proceeding.  My understanding of
the condition is that my brain has to constantly work to bring the
two images into focus: as a result, at the end of the day it is
sometimes very hard to read.  As I age, the eyes are moving farther
in their opposite directions, aggravating the problem.  I would love
not to have had this condition, but I know it only from my
perspective (pun intended).  Get knowledgeable advice (and that may
not come from your ophthalmologist--I was 39 before the condition was
diagnosed, and had been wearing glasses since the age of 5).

Christine Smith

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 19, 2003