Subject: Silica gel

Silica gel

From: Chris Michael <chris>
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2003
One of the problems that conservators face is the handling of silica
gel both in its colourless and self indicating form.  The dust from
the crystals make it an unpleasant substance to handle and I thought
that I would share with the list a unique solution that I discovered
in Taiwan.

The DV300 is a sealed unit with 300g of silica gel so you do not
come into contact with the dust.  The beauty is that when you need
to recondition the silica gel you just plug the cassette into the
mains and recharge it overnight in a similar fashion to a mobile
phone.  The cassette heats itself up and discharges the excess
moisture and is then ready to use again.

I have put some information at <URL:http://www.meaco.com/dv300.htm>
for people to see.

Chris Michael
partner, Meaco