Subject: Adhesive for exterior woodwork

Adhesive for exterior woodwork

From: Linda Roundhill <artsconservation>
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003
Ask and it will be given. I share this with the DistList, as an
answer came from OSG-L list before my question about Goop was ever
even posted.

    A recent message from Linda Roundhill requested info on the
    composition of Household Goop.

    I recently performed an infrared spectroscopic analysis of
    Household Goop Contact Adhesive and Sealant from Eclectic
    Products, Inc. Pineville, LA 71361.  The product came in a
    purple colored tube.   This product is supplied as a colorless
    viscous solution in organic solvent which dried to a colorless
    rubbery film on a glass slide.  The IR spectrum showed that this
    product is composed predominantly of Styrene-Butadiene Rubber
    (SBR), having a spectrum very similar to that of reference
    spectrum number ISR00118 Poly(styrene / butadiene), 30:70, SPP
    Inc., in the Infrared and Raman Users Group IRUG 2000 spectral
    database.  The composition of the solvent was not determined,
    but the package label states this product contains
    perchloroethylene.  No other analysis or testing was done on
    this product.

    SBR has some unsaturated carbon-carbon double bonds which may be
    subject to oxidation, and which may be sites for crosslinking.
    Since the product initially is soluble, it is not likely to be
    highly crosslinked, as supplied.  SBR is subject to the same
    sort of deterioration as natural rubber, including
    embrittlement, cracking, hardening, perhaps shrinkage, etc., but
    at a much slower rate than natural rubber.  Oxidation and
    crosslinking may lead to yellowing and changes in solubility
    over time.  I cannot predict the rate of change in solubility.

    R. Scott Williams
    Senior Conservation Scientist (Chemist)
    Canadian Conservation Institute

Linda Roundhill