Subject: Preservation Instruction, Education and Outreach Discussion Group

Preservation Instruction, Education and Outreach Discussion Group

From: Jennifer E. hain <jhain>
Date: Monday, June 16, 2003
For all of you still planning on going to ALA Annual (and even those
who aren't):

The Preservation Instruction, Education, and Outreach Discussion
Group will be meeting Sunday, June 22 from 2-4 pm in the Regency
Boardroom E of the Holiday Inn on King.

Due to the projected lower than average attendance, we have opted to
forego our planned presentations (to possibly be revisited for
Mid-Winter) and instead have a more casual session.  The main topic
of discussion will be planning for future programs.  What
instruction/education/outreach topics would be of interest to people
to discuss in the upcoming years?  Additionally, what the
development of any additional on-line resources for preservation
instruction be helpful?  If you are not planning on attending the
conference, we would still value your input.  Please submit any
ideas to me, at jhain [at] uiuc__edu, by Wednesday, June 18th for
discussion with the group.

Recent topics covered at ALA, which could be revisited if there is
still lots of interest, include:

    The state of preservation and collections conservation education

    Preservation education and outreach directed at non-preservation
    colleagues in the library

    Training of in-house conservation technicians and repair staff

    Preservation education abroad

    Get in shape!  The well endowed preservation program

    Regional Alliance for Preservation (RAP): using collaboration,
    cooperation, and coalitions to improve preservation education

    Teaching traditional skills with technology: book repair and
    video conferencing

    Virtual learning: Distance education's role in preservation
    training

Jennifer E. Hain
Head, Conservation Unit
Main Library, Room 44