Subject: Adhesive for exterior woodwork

Adhesive for exterior woodwork

From: Linda Roundhill <artsconservation>
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003
Rian Deurenberg <rdeurenberg [at] philamuseum__org> writes

>I am investigating adhesives to be used in the treatment of four
>exterior ionic capitals (attr. to Bernard and Jugiez, ca. 1765),
>carved in vertical grained southern yellow pine. Treatment of the
>capitals will include adhering the split parts, priming and painting
>and reinstallation at Mount Pleasant.
>
>We have a fairly good, though basic, idea of which adhesives we
>would like to test, but are still open to suggestions. If you have a
>good idea about suitable adhesives, companies, tests or other
>related topics, we would be very grateful to hear from you.

The problem with wood adhesives that I have tried is the lack of
flexibility, damaging solvents, irreversibility and/or long term
stability.

I have been testing a  product called Household Goop (belonging to a
series of similar adhesives called Goop made by Eclectic Products
Inc).  While I cannot use it on objects yet because its composition
is unknown and untested, it has amazing properties that are well
worth investigating.  Out of the tube it is water clear, very thick
and sticky, having mainly xylene as its solvent.  It doesn't shrink
much during drying and dries tough, strong, flexible and water-white
though not totally clear.  It has the look and feel of a soft
polyethylene, but stays reversible in xylene and acetone too, I
think.  The manufacturer states it remains waterproof, stable and
can withstand temperatures from minus 40 to 180 deg. F.  They
produce and Outdoor Goop that I assume has UV absorbers in it.  It
is wonderful for repairing plastic toys and other things.  The MSDS
does not reveal what the polymer is, though I saw an old one once
that did (and now I cannot find it), and I did not recognize the
polymer. Not an acrylic or vinyl.  I really think it should be
analyzed and tested. I have had a hunk of it in my incubator at 120
deg. F for months and it has not changed in any way that I have been
able to detect.

Please consider testing this material, in spite of its
unprofessional-sounding name.  I encourage others to investigate
also.  It would be a shame if there were a useful new polymer out
there that we could be using and we ignore it because we are too
accustomed to the status quo. I for one am unhappy with the
selection of tested and approved materials and am continually forced
to make decisions I am not 100% pleased with.

Does anyone know what it is or of any testing being done?

Linda S. Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation
18121 157th Ave NE
Woodinville, WA 98072