Subject: Laser eye surgery

Laser eye surgery

From: Joanne Rock <jrock>
Date: Monday, June 2, 2003
Candis C. Griggs <griggsconservation [at] earthlink__net> writes

>I am interested in learning if any fellow conservators have opted
>*not* to have corrective laser eye surgery/LASIK due to the future
>difficulties in close-up vision.  Specifically, I have been told by
>my potential doctor that by correcting near-sightedness now, it is
>extremely likely that I will need reading glasses for close-up work
>in 10-20 years (in my forties and fifties), which I would not
>otherwise, based on my vision now.  ...

I know you are interested in people who decided not to have Lasik,
but I had to write. I had Lasik in late 1999 at the age of 44.  I
now have what is called "mono-vision".  One eye sees best far; one
eye sees best near. Together I see just fine.  I wear glasses at
night for driving.

My doctor did the mono-vision specifically to allow me to avoid
having to wear reading glasses, and I don't.  If you don't have the
surgery, odds are you would need reading glasses in your 40's and
50's anyway, due to presbyopia--normal aging of the eye; but of
course your doctor knows your eyes best.

I am completely pleased with my results.  Glad to 'talk' further if
you like about all the details.

Jo
Joanne Rock
Executive Director