Subject: Call for papers--Archiving

Call for papers--Archiving

From: Douglas Nishimura <dwnpph>
Date: Friday, May 30, 2003
This is an announcement about a conference on archiving sponsored by
IS&T--The Society for Imaging Science and Technology. This
conference evolved from a now discontinued conference series call
PICS: Image Processing, Image Quality, Image Capture, Systems
Conference. According to Dr. Frey, they were interested in archiving
and decided that they would like to cross-pollinate (I don't recall
what her term was) with the world of archives and libraries. Dr.
Franziska Frey is one of the general co-chairs of the conference.
Steve Puglia (NARA), Steve Chapman (Harvard Libraries) and I were
talked into joining the program committee.

IS&T Archiving Conference Meeting Announcement and Call for Papers
Introduction to Archiving 2004
The Hyatt Regency Hotel
San Antonio, Texas, USA
April 20-23, 2004

General Chair:

    Franziska Frey
    Rochester Institute of Technology

    Robert Buckley
    Xerox Corporation

Sponsored by: The Society for Imaging Science and Technology
<URL:http://www.imaging.org/>. Cooperating Society: TAGA

Preserving our heritage is important and so much of that heritage is
captured day by day in images and documents. Employing economical
methods to save some fraction of that materials for future
generations is vitally important. We are concerned, furthermore, not
only with how we will recover our own images and documents a
generation hence, but how we can retrieve, recover and restore the
culturally and historically important imagery of past generations.

This conference brings together technical experts to discuss the
complex and widely varying topics on archiving. Techniques for
preserving, cataloging, indexing and retrieving images and documents
in both digital and human readable formats are subjects that will be
covered in detail. Our goal is to benchmark systems that might be in
place to preserve our digital and hardcopy information for the
future as well as to identify those areas where systems and
technology are not yet up to the task, and further research is of
high priority. Accordingly the interfacing of digital and hardcopy
preservation strategies, issues of format obsolescence, and storage
media technology are of particular interest.

The Archiving Conference 2004 will include: invited presentations by
recognized experts with extensive experience in this field, refereed
papers, and a series of tutorials to cover the technical basics of
archiving. Special keynote presentations are planned, including one
by Gordon Bell, Microsoft Research on his current MyLifeBits
research. Proposed Program Topics:

    Digital Image Archiving

        Standards for digital formats, color spaces, compression
        Indexing and searching
        Saving digital data to physical media

    Archiving Conventional Media

        Standards for paper manufacturing
        Archival inks
        Photographic archives, including micro-formats
        Storage requirements
        Indexing and retrieval

    Digitization

        High speed scanning
        High quality scanning
        OCR and document understanding

    Obsolescence of Digital Media

        Software and hardware obsolescence
        Longevity of digital media
        Cost of media rollover

    Accessing Electronic Archives

        Indexing and searching methods
        Web portals
        Content and digital asset management

    Emerging Digital Standards

        PDF/A
        JPEG 2000
        MPEG
        Security and watermarking
        Digital rights management
        eBooks

    Case Studies

        Digital Archives
        Long-term archives
        Museum collections
        Libraries
        Film archives
        Medical records

    Personal Photo Archives

        Personal digital archives
        Saving pictures for a lifetime
        Indexing and organizing
        Digital versus paper

Held in conjunction with TAGA's (Technical Association of the
Graphic Arts) Annual Conference, April 18-21, 2004.

Invitation and Instructions to Authors: Prospective authors are
invited to submit original papers for presentation in any of the
technical areas listed in the "proposed program topics" section of
this brochure. All submitted papers will be refereed by the technical
committee in order to ensure that the conference provides
significant and timely information to its participants. Papers
should be authoritative and complete in regard to advancing the
state of knowledge in the subject matter. The conference language
will be English.

Authors may choose either a 20 minute oral presentation or a poster
presentation with display boards. Oral and poster presentations are
considered of equal importance and merit, and the author's
preference for one or the other will be honored whenever possible.

If you wish to submit a paper, please use the web-based form and
process described at
<URL:http://www.imaging.org/conferences/archiving2004/authors.cfm>

Use of the web based submission process is strongly preferred,
however submission may also be made via e-mail to
archiving [at] imaging__org. Reference subject line: Archiving 2004
submission. Please include: 750-1000 word abstract

Clearly identify the technical content of the paper and  (if
necessary) what is new compared to previously presented or published
material on the same topic. 50 word biographical sketch of the
primary author mailing address, phone, fax, e-mail for the primary
author preferred format--oral or poster preferred session assignment

The deadline for submission is October 15, 2003

Upon notice of acceptance, authors will be sent detailed instruction
kits for submitting the full text of the paper for the conference
Proceedings. A copyright transfer form must also be completed prior
to publication.

Note especially that each author is responsible for obtaining
appropriate clearances as necessary for presentation and publication
of the work. Papers will be due by January 30, 2004 for publication
in the proceedings book that will be distributed to each attendee at
the meeting.

Tutorials

    A full program of tutorials is scheduled for Tuesday April 20,
    2004. Proposals for tutorial classes are invited. For submission
    instructions, please contact

        Pam Forness
        Conference Manager
        <pam [at] imaging__org>

Likely topics include:

    Archival properties of paper and other media
    Digital format standards
    Physics of archival inks
    Storage for digital documents
    Historical archival successes
    Lifetimes of various media (magnetic tape, CDs, DVDs, paper
    products)

IS&T Membership Information: The Society for Imaging Science and
Technology is an international non-profit society whose goal is to
keep members aware of the latest scientific and technological
developments in the field of imaging through conferences, journals
and other publications. We focus on imaging in all its aspects, with
particular emphasis on silver halide, digital printing, electronic
imaging, photofinishing, image preservation, image quality
assessment, color imaging, pre-press technologies and hybrid imaging
systems. Dues are $90 domestic and $100 outside the U.S. per year.
Apply for membership prior to registering for IS&T's ARCHIVING
Conference, and take the member rate for the meeting. Benefits of
membership include:

    Subscription to the Journal of Imaging Science and Technology or
    the Journal of Electronic Imaging (jointly published with SPIE).

    Subscription to the IS&T Reporter--"The Window on Imaging" with
    its regular features on standards, new products, conference
    reports, Society news and other imaging news.

    Reduced rates for IS&T publications--proceedings, books and your
    second Journal choice.

    Reduced registration rates for all IS&T conferences and courses.
    (4-6 conferences each year on selected imaging technology
    topics.)

    Access to the Member Only site at <URL:http://www.imaging.org/>
    including the IS&T Membership Directory, subscription access to
    on-line IS&T published papers, and advanced search capabilities
    for papers.

We invite you to join. Contact IS&T for an application today at
703-642-9090, fax: 703-642-9094 <info [at] imaging__org>

The Conference Committee
General Co-Chairs

    Franziska Frey
    Rochester Institute of Technology
    School of Print Media
    69 Lomb Memorial Drive
    Rochester NY 14623
    585-475-2712
    Fax: 585-475-7029
    fsfpph [at] rit__edu

    Robert R. Buckley
    Xerox Corporation
    800 Phillips Road, MS 128-30E
    Webster NY 14580
    585-422-1292
    Fax: 585-265-8871
    rbuckley [at] crt__xerox__com

The Program Committee

    Ron Antos, Life Touch
    Charles Bouman, Purdue
    Steve Chapman, Harvard Libraries
    Bruce Hunt, Adobe
    Jim King, Adobe
    Harvey Levenson, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
    Kyle Mashima, Adobe
    Larry Masinter, Adobe
    Ricardo Motta, Pixim
    Douglas Nishimura, Image Permanence Institute
    Steve Puglia, U.S. National Archive
    Mel Sahyun, University of Wisconsin
    Louis Sharpe, Picture Elements Inc.
    Sabine Susstrunk, L'Ecole Polytechnique Ferale de Lausanne
        (Switzerland)
    Robert Tapella, Government Printing Office (GPO)

                   Distributed: Friday, May 30, 2003