Subject: Flooring for microfilm storage area

Flooring for microfilm storage area

From: Stephanie Baily <sbaily>
Date: Thursday, May 29, 2003
We have a storage area which is used primarily for microfilm and
photographic negatives.  The shelving is being replaced with a
compactus and at the same time the flooring, currently carpet, will
be replaced.  The vinyl flooring used elsewhere in the building has
been proposed for this room.  This vinyl obviously contains PVC with
"the thickest urethane coating available".  The vinyl will be laid
using "polymer 265 vinyl adhesive".  I have the material safety data
sheet (MSDS) for this product which lists a concentration of 30-60%
acrylic copolymer with light aromatic and medium aliphatic naphtha
as the solvents.  Our second option is to simply coat the concrete
floor (I have a copy of Tetreault's "Coatings for Display and
Storage in Museums") but there is some resistance to this on
aesthetic grounds.

Does anyone have information on the most appropriate flooring for
this application?  I would be particularly interested in any
research into the release of volatiles from vinyl flooring.

Stephanie Baily
Conservator
State Library of Western Australia
Perth WA 6000