Subject: Laser eye surgery

Laser eye surgery

From: Candis C. Griggs <griggsconservation>
Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2003
I am interested in learning if any fellow conservators have opted
*not* to have corrective laser eye surgery/LASIK due to the future
difficulties in close-up vision.  Specifically, I have been told by
my potential doctor that by correcting near-sightedness now, it is
extremely likely that I will need reading glasses for close-up work
in 10-20 years (in my forties and fifties), which I would not
otherwise, based on my vision now.  Has anyone decided that this is
too big of a factor because of our type of work to make the surgery
worth while?  Are there any other factors that a conservator should
consider? I realize that this is not a specifically
conservation-related query, but it might be useful for others
considering this procedure.   I had almost signed up for it when the
operating doctor told me that this is why *he* hasn't had it.
Hmm.....

Candis Griggs
Griggs Conservation
1454-A. Chestnut Street