Subject: Marking

Marking

From: Christoph Waller <cwaller>
Date: Sunday, May 25, 2003
The most common way of applying numbers on collection items still
seems to be Chinese ink between two layers of Paraloid B 72.

While searching for a more easy-to-use replacement for Chinese ink I
discovered that the felt-tip pen Edding 4040 is working well
(pigmented and lightfast, available in black and white): It is not
dissolving when covered by the second layer of Paraloid B72
dissolved in acetone. The only disadvantage is that the felt tip of
Edding 4040 is about 1-2 mm thick so it can be used only for
writing accession numbers of 8 mm or higher. Edding doesn't offer
finer felt-tip pens with this kind of ink, but possibly other
manufacturers do. So my question is: Does anybody know a smaller
felt tip pen which could be used for this purpose? I think many
museums would be happy with it.

christoPh Waller
Long Life for Art
Im Bueckle 4