Subject: Adhesive for exterior woodwork

Adhesive for exterior woodwork

From: Beth Heller <pandorajune>
Date: Friday, May 23, 2003
Rian Deurenberg <rdeurenberg [at] philamuseum__org> writes

>I am investigating adhesives to be used in the treatment of four
>exterior ionic capitals (attr. to Bernard and Jugiez, ca. 1765),
>carved in vertical grained southern yellow pine. ...

I have access to some rather unorthodox and unscientific test
results, regarding adhesives and the properties you have listed (see
partial quote below).

I have been involved in the art car phenomenon for about 10 years.
For the past 8 years, I have been attaching metal springs, and other
objects, to my car with various adhesives.  It has been observed, by
myself as well as other art car artists, that paintable silicone
latex caulk is the most desirable. I do not have the brand or
content information at hand.  After 8 years of rain, snow, heat, and
daily driving conditions, the caulk remains flexible and sturdily
attached. I have not attempted to remove it, so cannot discuss
reversibility. Most other adhesives failed, becoming brittle.  I
believe the second most popular choice to be the marine adhesive,
although I have not used it.  Since I am still just a first year
student in Conservation, I have not yet examined this problem in any
formal way, but you've stimulated my curiosity.  There are about
300 cars driving around the US with a variety of paints, adhesives,
plastics, and organic materials attached to them.  Some have been
out there for 10+ years.  I think I may have found an addition to my
independent study project, exploring conservation of outsider art,
in the form of a survey.  Thanks,

Beth Heller
1st year, Conservation
Preservation and Conservation Studies