Subject: Polyfilla and Moltofill

Polyfilla and Moltofill

From: Patricia S. Griffin <cuprorivaite>
Date: Tuesday, May 20, 2003
David Laine <david [at] laine__be>

>Daniel Joest <lcjoest [at] yahoo__com> writes
>
>>I am a student of stone conservation and I'm working on an
>>predynastic Egyptian siltstone vessel which needs structural fills.
>>    Does anyone has experience with Polyfilla and/or Moltofill?
>
>Polyfilla is a 2 component epoxy: a resin and a hardener (with
>triethylenetetramine as a base), along with a white filler; the
>technical fiche given by the Polyfilla company (Polyfilla Products
>S.A.) does not tell the nature of the filler, but it 's probably
>chalk. The use however is not advised, it gets very hard after a
>period of time and the consistency is not flexible, so it cracks.
>Depending on the use it is poorly reversible.

This does not sound at all like the Polyfilla that I have used,
which came as a fine powder in a cardboard box and was mixed with
water to make the putty.  It set, and when dry was very soft and
could be sanded with paper (not sand paper, paper).  It has been a
long time since I used it; however, I recall that it was bulked with
cellulose.  I cannot recall the binder.

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 22, 2003