Subject: Album and ivory miniatures

Album and ivory miniatures

From: Marysa de Veer <marysa>
Date: Friday, May 16, 2003
Query to book/paper conservators
19th century Northern Indian Album

I am carrying out research on the history of a Northern Indian 19th
century album which I conserved recently, containing ivory
miniatures of scenes of an intimate nature.

The album I was working on was made up of 19 board pages varying in
thickness between 3-5mm. The boards were covered with a rubbed
metallic coated embossed paper--Dutch? The boards had inlaid into
them, and behind glass, the ivory miniatures.  The album was
completely broken up and it is possible that such works exist but
have been split up and framed due to the delicacy of the original
binding. Please email me if you have also carried out conservation
on anything similar, if not in book format, as single items. Thank
you,

Marysa de Veer

                   Distributed: Monday, May 19, 2003