Subject: Archives Conservation Discussion Group

Archives Conservation Discussion Group

From: Kristen St. John <kstjohn>
Date: Monday, May 19, 2003
The Archives Conservation Discussion Group (a special interest group
within the Book and Paper Group) will meet at the AIC Annual Meeting
in Arlington on June 9, 2003 Monday afternoon from 2-3:30 pm (please
note we will meet for 1.5 hours, not 30 minutes as was indicated in
the PDF version of the registration brochure).

This year we continue last year's topic, "Humidification and
Flattening", with a focus on drying and flattening methods for
paper-based collections.  We will begin with an examination of the
chemical and physical changes that occur in paper with drying and
then examine new techniques and classic methods. Practitioners from
all fields are welcome to join us as we consider how to treat
attentively and responsibly single items and large collections.
Slide, overhead, and data projectors will be available for those who
wish to share visual information about their techniques or specific
projects.

At the end of the session we hope to have a brief tips session with
information on vendors and supplies used in flattening and drying.
Anyone wishing to contribute to the tips session may contact Kristen
St.John at kstjohn [at] rci__rutgers__edu or Nora Lockshin at
lockshinn [at] si__edu so that a handout can be prepared in advance.

Kristen St.John, Conservator
Special Collections and University Archives
Rutgers University Libraries
732-932-7006
Fax: 732-932-7012

Nora S. Lockshin, McMillan Conservator
Smithsonian Center for Archives Conservation
Smithsonian Institution Archives
301-238-3700 x 147 (SCMRE paper lab)
202-357-1421 x 30 (A&I/SIA office)

                   Distributed: Monday, May 19, 2003