Subject: Consolidating marble

Consolidating marble

From: Jeremy Wells <jeremy>
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2003
Pilar Hernandez <pilarny [at] yahoo__com> writes

>... We can't find any articles about
>marble consolidation. All we know and have read is about limestone.

Although it is not object oriented per se, I'd recommend the
following article:

    Jerome, Pamela S., Norman R. Weiss, Allan S. Gilbert, and John
    A. Scott.
    "Ethyl Silicate as a Treatment for Marble: Conservation of St.
    John's Hall, Fordham University."
    Association for Preservation Technology Bulletin 29, no. 1
    (1998): 19-26.

As marble and limestone are both calcite, they should exhibit
similar decay phenomena. Treatments I've seen used for limestone and
marble consolidation include barium hydroxide, B-72 acrylic, ethyl
silicates and alkoxy silanes, epoxies, and polyurethane. None are
truly reversible (B72 is probably the best in this regard).

Jeremy

                   Distributed: Monday, May 19, 2003