Subject: Measuring indoor air flow

Measuring indoor air flow

From: Jonathan P. Brown <envcons>
Date: Tuesday, May 13, 2003
Ulla Kejser <ubk [at] kb__dk> writes

>At the Royal Library we plan to use cartridges of KClO3 (potassium
>chlorate) for measuring indoor air flow in our reading room. Is it
>safe to use for the library materials? Alternative methods?

I have no specific information on the effect of KClO3 on library
materials, but I have some alternative approaches.  It is not clear
here whether you want to measure airflow or visualize the airflow.
Helium-filled bubbles are a nice approach for visualization
<URL:http://www.sageaction.com/>, but a professional-level rig may
be a little expensive for your application.  Hot-wire anemometers
(e.g., <URL:http://www.control3.com/4330p.htm>) are probably more
useful if you want an actual measurement although they have to be
kept clean, suffer radiant heat effects, and can have some
repeatability concerns. Regards,

JP Brown

                   Distributed: Monday, May 19, 2003