Subject: Dust cloths

Dust cloths

From: Lisa Fox <foxl>
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2003
Laramie Hickey-Friedman <lhickey-friedman [at] menil__org> writes
>Anne E. Downey <adowney [at] amphilsoc__org> writes
>
>>I am having a dickens of time finding disposable dust cloths that
>>are not treated with any type of oil or cleaning agent. Does anybody
>>out there have any suggestions?
>
>I have become quite fond of the micro-fibre dusting cloths
>(developed in Europe). While they are not disposable, they also are
>not treated with anything. The dusting cloths can be washed and
>reused many times. So far they have not been abrasive on the
>materials I have tested, metal wood and glass. I have found them at
>my local supermarket, but surely there must be other North American
>sources.

In my other avocation (restoring and caring for an antique Jaguar),
I use microfiber cloths extensively.  In general, the microfibers
available from big retailers are fairly rough, and I would not use
them on delicate surfaces.  A high-quality microfiber is gentle
enough to avoid scratching the delicate clearcoat on cars.  (Car
detailers generally do a "scratch test" using CDs.) Their
dust-trapping ability is so great that I now use them around the
house, too, instead of any spray.

You will find high-quality, soft microfibers from these sources:

    Microfiber Tech
    <URL:http://www.microfibertech.com/index.html>

    PakShak
    <URL:http://www.pakshak.com/>