Subject: Brass lacquer

Brass lacquer

From: Susan L. Maltby <susan.maltby>
Date: Wednesday, May 7, 2003
I would be interested in corresponding, off-list, with anyone who
has experience using Schwartz Chemical's brass lacquer #1C352.  This
product is being proposed by a contractor for use on historic brass
lamps.  According to the manufacturer, the lacquer is made from
"blended resins".  The main component is, as expected, cellulose
nitrate.  The other resins are considered "trade secrets."  The
manufacturer says that it is a durable lacquer and can be removed
now and in the future with lacquer thinner.  Please, if anyone out
there has experience--good or bad--using this stuff on artifacts I
would like to hear from you.  Thanks,

    **** Moderator's comments: While I appreciate that there may be
    comments that are best communicated privately, if people have
    information that would be appropriate for public dissemination,
    that is also welcome.

Susan Maltby, Conservator
Maltby and Associates Inc.

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 13, 2003