Subject: Varnished chromolithograph

Varnished chromolithograph

From: Michaela Keil <mikkeil>
Date: Monday, May 12, 2003
I am currently a MA paper conservation student in Cologne, Germany.
My final project is a varnished chromolithographic map from around
1900. The very brittle paper has a water-soluble varnish on the
surface. Part of the printing ink and the varnish are flaking.
FTIR-spectroscopy analysis indicated a mastic varnish, which is very
surprising, since mastic usually does not dissolve in water. I am
interested in hearing if anybody has an idea how this is possible? I
would also appreciate any information on treatment experiences with
varnished paper artefacts.

Michaela Keil

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 13, 2003